Corporate. Tax. Regulatory.
We advise clients on routine and difficult corporate matters, often involving tax and regulatory issues. We have particular expertise in the establishment and structuring of operations in Hong Kong, the creation of derivatives and over-the-counter products and the development of business platforms and service offerings.
We have extensive experience advising on corporate issues in both transactional and non-transactional contexts. On the non-transactional side, we have wide ranging experience including:
- Counsel to a US based hedge fund with over US$4 billion of assets under management in respect of the establishment of offices in Hong Kong
- Counsel to a start-up investment bank in relation to arrangements between the founding shareholders
- Counsel to a European based development bank in relation to the restructuring of the share capital structure of an investee company in Asia
We have substantial knowledge of Hong Kong tax issues, including as regards profits tax and stamp duty issues arising in the financial markets and financial services context. Our experience includes:
- Counsel to an Asian based hedge fund with over US$100 million of assets management in respect of the structuring of derivative trading activities to limit tax liabilities
- Counsel to an Asian based multi-strategy private funds manager in relation to Hong Kong taxes in connection with the offering of a private equity fund
Our core franchise is built on regulatory matters. We have broad and deep experience across the full spectrum of laws and regulations which govern the financial markets. Our experience includes:
- Counsel to a US based private funds manager with over US$65 billion of assets under management in respect of regulatory requirements in connection with the structuring of its private equity and hedge fund trading operations in Hong Kong
- Counsel to a US based family office with over US$4 billion of assets under management in respect of regulatory requirements in connection with insider dealing issues
- Counsel to Fortune Global 500 financial institution in relation to regulatory requirements for structured currency products
- Counsel to a Fortune Global 200 investment bank in relation to regulatory requirements applicable to a special situations proprietary trading strategy
- Counsel to a US based hedge fund in connection with requirements under the Listing Rules of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and the Takeovers Code applicable to a trading strategy involving a company subject to a privatization offer
- Counsel to a Fortune Global 200 bank in relation to possible breaches of by it and its staff of market manipulation laws